Solar energy is a wave for the future that is meant to reduce global warming. And instead of using fossil fuel, the solar panel harnesses the sun’s energy. And the good thing about solar energy is that it is not meant only for people living in the sunniest parts of the world; solar can be used even in places with the least sunlight. Solar energy works perfectly for both businesses and homeowners. But if you plan on getting the most out of the panels, you have to ensure that an experienced electrician installs them.
Solar panels are low-maintenance devices, but this doesn’t mean that just anyone can do the maintenance work. Therefore, you must hire an experienced solar electrician to maintain your solar panels. Remember, an electrician can run numerous diagnostic tests on your system and show you how to improve its performance. So here are a few reasons why you should hire an electrician to maintain your solar system.
Reasons Why You Should Have Your Solar Panel Maintained by an Electrician
1. An Experienced Electrician Can Perform a Complete Diagnostic Test of Your System
First of all, only a qualified electrician can examine and understand how your solar system works, even if he/she wasn’t the one who installed it. An electrician can ask the right questions, including when it was serviced and if the system has ever encountered any issue since it was installed. A qualified electrician can easily determine the source of the problem and give an appropriate response in case of a problem.
Some of the most common issues affecting solar systems that an experienced electrician can detect are:
- If your inverter isn’t starting in summer but works perfectly in spring and winter, then the problem could be the high temperature of the panels. And an experienced electrician can decide if you can spray it with water to lower its temperature or if you need to add more panels.
- If your inverter keeps switching off and restarting during the day, then the issue could be that the home’s grid tolerance is too low. This problem can also be caused by a faulty meter or if the grid voltage is set too high.
An experienced electrician can determine which panels have failed and repair or replace them.
An experienced solar electrician can determine these problems. Therefore, as recommended by Your Energy Blog, you should hire a qualified professional to help service your solar system.
1. An Electrician Can Detect a Problem Early and Solve It
An electrical issue can occur at any given point, but proper maintenance can help detect a problem before it occurs. And that is because an electrician can inspect your entire system and ensure that it’s in good condition before billing you. An experienced individual can inspect all the cables, isolators (polarity, tightening, and wiring termination), panels, and inverter.
They can also perform numerous tests on the system to confirm that it’s working properly. Some of these tests include:
- Inverter live test: normally, a simply healthy check includes checking the lights on the inverter box during the day. An orange or red light means that it’s faulty and green shows that it’s functioning perfectly. Other than that simple diagnosis, an experienced can also test the inverter using a multimeter.
- The ISC check: this test refers to the measure of the panel’s short circuit current. To do this, you need to disconnect the faulty panel and then measure it using a multimeter.
And by detecting an issue early, you can save some cash on major repairs and also ensure that your system will continue working properly.
2. An Electrician Can Show You How to Optimize Your Power Consumption
Electricians can estimate how much you’re saving by going green and also provide guidance on how to improve your system and achieve your environmental and financial goal. A professional can measure your system’s output and determine how much your electronics use per day and advise on the way forward. You can use the electronic during the day when the production rate is at its peak and lower your needs from the power grid in the evening. You can also install a few more panels to produce more solar energy.
1. An Electrician Can Repair Your System Once the Warranty Expires
Most solar panels come with a warranty that covers all forms of repairs; however, warranties do expire. And once they have run out, you will need the service of an experienced electrician to help you take care of your solar system and ensure that it continues working properly. After all, the manufacturer took care of all the repair works, so there is a huge probability that you don’t even know how the system functions. An electrician can replace your inverter when spoiled even after the warranty expires. Therefore, an electrician can give you peace of mind even after your warranty has expired.
Under normal circumstances, you can’t be electrocuted by simply touching your solar panels. However, you can get a low-grade burn; after all, the cells tend to be quite hot. But when it malfunctions, the solar PV system can electrocute anyone who touches it. Remember, solar panels also produce electricity, and any current above 75mA can be quite lethal to your heart. Just like with any other electrical system, a solar system can cause fire when it malfunctions. The solar panels are also very costly devices that can get damaged if mishandled. Therefore, you must have a qualified electrician take care of your solar system.
Solar panels have numerous benefits, and one of the most common ones is lowering your utility bills. The solar system is a clean and better replacement for electricity generated by fossil fuel. And once you have good green, you will never want your system to malfunction. Therefore, you must have it maintained and serviced by an experienced electrician. After all, an electrician can ensure that your solar system is running at full capacity and detect a problem early. The electrician can also ensure that your home stays off the grid without worrying about the system ever malfunctioning.